Tuesday, November 25, 2008

wrap up

We're done now.
But even so, I haven't dived back into the old habits like I thought I would.

I started off the challenge in a sceptic haze. I didn't realize what I wasn't getting into. I did know that I wanted to learn more about what was in season. This gave me that opportunity and I 1/2 volunteered/forced myself into it. The following is what I've gained.

I learned that there's a lot of veggies to munch on in November. Just to name a few: carrots, beets, potatoes, leeks, celeri, brocolli, squash, cabbage, onions and garlic. And really there's really more.

As for fruits, I've found a new liking for apples. They're quite versatile. Mmm apple sauce and apple pies. I even made up a sauteeing marinade with apple cider, apple vinegar and honey. It's amazing with beets and spinach.

Another thing, I realized that true Quebecoise cuisine involves a lot of dairy. We made fresh honey ice cream. Enough said.

Something else that's truely Quebec? Maple syrup.

I also enjoyed using local herbs for seasoning. Simon & Garfunkel would be pleased. I used parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. I enjoyed using basil as well, made some pesto with sunflower oil.

One of my biggest challenges was wheat, more like the lack of in the area. There are 2 grains grown locally: barley and buckwheat. To my surprise, I love buckwheat! It's actaully a comfort food that my Baba (grandma) used to cook for me. I was inspired and made holobtsi, cabbage rolls with buckwheat filling.

We also discovered the Premiere Moisson bakery, which uses an assortment local flour (ontario grown). We were able to make pie crust and spaghetti. And oh damn, I learned how to make white sauce (oil, flower, milk and leeks do the trick).

Some other tidbits:
-100M within Montreal spans over towards Ottawa and east to Sherbrooke. It also heads down into the states. We didn't find much local produce from down south though.
-eggs and other local meats are fair game (jean-talon market)
-dumpster diving can add some exotic variety to the local menu (somewhere is Tim's ecological rational)

It's not a huge deal now that I have the option to get whatever I want. I'm still very happy with my morning apples and baked veggies. Overall, I ate rediculously well these past 2 weeks. I explored local food combinations and experimented with recipes. And if I do it again, it'll be in another season!

No comments: