Sunday, November 2, 2008

My name is Tim, and I have a local food problem.

So this is the beginning of our local food adventure, and I have to say, I'm rather excited. Aynsley, Ian and I met today over at Santropol (Duluth at St. Urbain; their meat isn't organic...) to organize our thoughts on how we could actually do two weeks of locavoring in the middle of November in Montreal. Noteworthy discussion:

-Rumours of mountains of (*Tim looks both ways sketchily* ...sometimes free) locally-produced food up at Marche Jean-Talon elicited an early pact between the participants to make a voyage up to Little Italy on or around the 8th of November.
-I was rather pleasantly reminded of the customary one-vanity-item-I-can-exempt rule, though I haven't quite decided which it will be. Salt seems like to safe of a bet, though suggestions are welcome.
-Organic Campus, McGill's weekly organic connection also sources from within 100 miles. This promises to be a staple in my diet.

So this week, we'll be documenting our "normal" eating habits, which, I daresay, will be biased significantly by the midterm I have on Thursday, and start doing research on what and where we can procure that scrumptious local food. Keep your eye on the blog for my utter failures.

Tim

2 comments:

drea said...

Leaving salt exempt might be a good idea, unless you want to be really hardcore and just make your own somehow...

Anonymous said...

I'm considering this. My name is Daren (formally events coordinator of the award-winning plate club). Is Cheval Blanc local? Am I stuck with LaBatt and Molson?

-Blake (...)